Crispy Baked Chicken Parmesan with Zoodles
Looking for a super fresh, easy, amazingly healthy dinner option? Can you tell how much we are loving zoodles?! This dish is no joke. And it only takes 20-25 min. Juicy, crispy chicken that is packed full of flavor with that zoodle flare. And remember, there is NO deep frying involved here. We are talking about pan-searing and baking the chicken, so it remains moist and oh-so healthy.
Let’s get cookin’!
· 1 small white onion diced
· 2 tsp minced garlic
· 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
· 1 roasted red pepper* chopped
· 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
· 1 24 oz jar Basil Tomato Sauce or sauce of choice
· 4 medium zucchini squash spiralized
· 1.5 lbs chicken breast thinly sliced (4 breasts) make sure to thinly slice the chicken for best results
· 1/3 cup regular breadcrumbs
· 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
· 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
· 2 large eggs
· 1.5 tsp Italian seasoning
· salt and pepper to taste
· 1/2 tsp garlic powder
· freshly chopped basil
· grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and prepare a baking sheet or dish by lining it with foil
2. Place a large nonstick pan over medium heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Once heated, add the spiralized zucchini. Cook 3-5 minutes.* Remove to a bowl
3. In the same nonstick pan, add the onion and roasted red pepper. Cook until onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook 2-3 minutes. Once the garlic is fragrant, add the sauce and lower to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
4. To one shallow dish, add the eggs and thoroughly beat. To a second shallow dish, combine the both breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and seasonings.
5. Sprinkle each chicken breast with a little salt and pepper.
6. Dredge each breast through the egg and then through the breadcrumb mixture. Firmly pat the breadcrumb mixture to both sides of the chicken. Press the mix into the chicken to ensure a good coating.
7. Place a *large nonstick, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once heated, add the chicken breast and sear each side for 3-4 minutes.
8. Once the chicken has been seared on both sides, transfer the skillet (or baking dish) to the oven to bake 7-10 minutes. Time will be dependent on how thickly cut the chicken breast is.
The internal temperature needs to reach 165 degrees F.
9. Add the zucchini noodles to the pan with the sauce to re-warm.
10. Remove the chicken from the oven to add a scoop of sauce and mozzarella cheese. Place back into the oven for a few minutes. Long enough to melt the cheese.
11. If you want a crispy, bubbly cheese coating - turn the broiler on high after the cheese has melted. Watch closely as this will only take but a moment or two.
12. Remove from the oven. Serve with the zucchini noodles, garnished with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.
We were inspired to do this dish from blog www.withpeanutbutterontop.com and boy are we glad we did.
Take our word on this one. It is extra tasty!