Savory Pumpkin Bread with Pumpkin Seeds
SAVORY PUMPKIN LOAF WITH PUMPKIN SEEDS
I am a HUGE fan of pumpkin and love to eat it all year round (not just the holiday’s). This bread is so scrumptious and delicious to eat during the colder mornings or over the weekend. Pumpkin is rich in beta-carotene which is the precursor for Vitamin A. Vitamin A is important for your eye health, immune system and also helps the heart, lungs, kidneys and other organs to work properly. Since Vitamin A is fat-soluble it is more easily absorbed when combined with healthy fats. I like to serve this bread with avocado dip or hummus to add in that healthy fat 😊
You can store this in an airtight container for up to 10 days. Another great tip is to toast it in your toaster or in a pan before serving. It creates an amazing, slightly caramelized crust. Yum!
· 1 Cup whole meal flour
· 1 Cup unbleached self-raising flour
· 2 tsp baking powder
· 1 tsp baking soda
· ½ tsp salt
· 2 Cups grated pumpkin (about 250g)
· 1 Tbs dried rosemary
· 1 Tbs dried thyme
· 1/3 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
· 1 Tbs flax-seeds
· 2 Tbs pumpkin seeds
1. Preheat oven to 390 degrees F
2. Line the base and sides of a 20cm x 10cm loaf tin
3. In a bowl, sift together the 2 flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
4. Stir in the grated pumpkin and dried herbs
5. In another bowl, combine the oil, flax-seeds and 1 Cup of water and stir well
6. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
7. Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds
8. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean
9. Leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack
10. Allow to Cool for another 30 minutes, then slice and serve it fresh!